But which one should you choose?
In this article, we’ll compare the key features of each to help you decide which is better for your needs when registering a domain in the Philippines.
Some key factors we’ll look at include:
- Pricing – Who offers cheaper domain prices and deals?
- Ease of use – Which has the simpler interface and checkout process?
- Features – What additional products like hosting and email do they provide?
- Privacy and security – How do they compare for protecting your domain?
By the end of this article, you’ll have a better understanding of the main differences between Google Domains and GoDaddy when it comes to registering and managing a domain in the Philippines.
Whether you’re a beginner just starting out or a more advanced user looking for specific features, we’ll help you decide which domain provider is the better fit.
Google Domains vs GoDaddy: Pricing
When it comes to domain pricing, GoDaddy consistently offers cheaper domain registration costs compared to Google Domains for common top-level domains like .com, .net, .org, and others.
Domain Pricing Comparison
Here is a side-by-side table showing the cost differences for some popular TLDs:
|Google Domains (USD)
As you can see, GoDaddy comes in $2-3 cheaper per year on average for the standard TLDs most people will be registering.
Some specific examples:
- The domain name
awesomesite.comwould cost $9.99/year with GoDaddy but $12/year with Google Domains.
yourbusiness.netwould be $15.17/year on GoDaddy vs $12/year on Google Domains.
While the savings may not seem huge, it can add up if you are registering multiple domains.
Promotions and Discounts
Another pricing advantage GoDaddy has is that they regularly offer promotions and deep discounts, especially during the holiday season.
- They often have 50-60% off sales around Black Friday and Cyber Monday, bringing costs way down.
- For example, a
.comdomain could be available for only $0.19/year with their maximum discount applied.
Google Domains rarely has big sales events or discount codes to lower prices. Their pricing is fairly fixed year-round.
Bundles Can Provide Additional Savings
In addition to cheaper domains, bundling domains with other products like hosting and email can provide further cost savings with GoDaddy.
Some package examples:
- The Deluxe plan provides a free domain name, hosting, website builder, and G Suite email for $9.99/month total.
- The Ultimate plan adds more robust hosting, a SSL certificate, and Microsoft 365 email for $14.99/month.
When you factor in all the included products, the domain registration ends up practically free on some bundles.
Google Domains doesn’t provide bundled packages so you have to pay for the domain and any other services separately.
One final cost consideration – GoDaddy provides 24/7 customer support via phone, chat, and email. Google Domains only offers email and community forum support. Having access to live support could save you money resolving issues faster.
In summary, GoDaddy beats out Google Domains when it comes to overall domain pricing and opportunities to save through promotions, discounts, and bundle packages.
Unless cost is no concern, GoDaddy is likely the better value choice for domain registration for most users.
Google Domains vs GoDaddy: Ease of Use
When selecting a domain registrar in the Philippines, the user experience is an important consideration – especially for beginners buying their first domain.
Between GoDaddy and Google Domains, GoDaddy tends to offer a simpler, more intuitive interface and purchase process.
Some advantages of GoDaddy’s interface:
- Step-by-step wizards – Guides you through domain search, selection, customization, checkout.
- Explainer videos – Short videos show you how to complete key tasks.
- Predictive search – As you type a domain, suggestions appear to help find availability.
- Bulk domain check – Enter multiple domains at once to check if available.
- Domain recommendations – Related suggestions if your desired domain is taken.
They also have a mobile app allowing domain management on the go.
Overall, GoDaddy uses more intuitive design patterns that mimic popular shopping sites, making it familiar to navigate and buy domains.
Google Domains Interface
Google Domains has a more minimalist interface prioritizing simplicity and clean design.
- Search-focused – Main page is just a search bar without much else.
- Less guidance – Requires more digging to find explanations and help.
- Technical terminology – Uses more domain industry jargon without clarification.
While effective for experienced users, the stripped down style may frustrate beginners needing more hand holding.
Checkout and Purchase Process
Registering a domain with GoDaddy follows a familiar ecommerce checkout flow:
- Search for domain
- Add to cart
- Go to cart and “checkout”
- Enter registrant, billing, and technical info
- Select addons like email, security, etc
- Enter payment info
- Review and submit order
Google Domains has fewer steps but the process feels less intuitive:
- Search for domain
- Select “Add to cart” dropdown and pick registration duration
- Enter registrant, billing, and technical info on one page
- Select addons like privacy protection
- Review and submit
For first-timers, GoDaddy’s modular approach is likely easier to understand.
In summary, while Google Domains works fine for purchasing domains, GoDaddy’s interface design choices, guided workflows, and additional support give it the edge for usability – especially for domain beginners.
Google Domains vs GoDaddy: Additional Features
Beyond domain registration, GoDaddy offers a much wider array of complementary products and services. This provides greater value for your domain investment.
Products Included with Domains
With GoDaddy, you can add on:
- Web hosting – Hosting plans to launch a website with your domain.
- Email – Professional email accounts using your domain name.
- Websites + Marketing – Tools to build a site and manage email marketing.
- Security – SSL certificates to make sites HTTPS and secure.
Bundling domains with hosting, email, and more can save money compared to purchasing individually.
Meanwhile, Google Domains focuses solely on domain registration. For anything beyond that like hosting or email, you need to purchase from a 3rd party provider.
Expansive Standalone Products
In addition to the products above that integrate with domains, GoDaddy has a vast array of standalone offerings including:
- WordPress Hosting – Managed WordPress hosting with 1-click installs.
- VPS Hosting – Virtual private servers for more control.
- Dedicated Servers – For resource-intensive sites and apps.
- Online Store – Tools to quickly launch an ecommerce store.
- Marketing Tools – SEO, email marketing, social media management.
- Business Apps – Bookkeeping, payroll, appointments, invoicing.
- Productivity Apps – Microsoft 365, G Suite, Dropbox, Slack.
So GoDaddy provides an extensive suite of products surrounding domains, allowing one-stop shopping to meet various needs.
Google Domains does not provide any standalone services. Their sole focus is domain registration and management.
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
GoDaddy also supports registering IDNs, which allow incorporating non-Latin scripts like Chinese, Arabic, or Cyrillic characters in domain names when the TLD supports it.
For example, you could register:
- авто.com (Russian)
- 測試.中文 (Chinese)
- пример.срб (Serbian)
This helps brands better target and connect with international audiences using native-language domain names.
Google Domains does not explicitly document IDN support, giving GoDaddy another advantage.
GoDaddy provides developer APIs to manage domains at scale programmatically – useful for large brands, web hosts, agencies, etc.
This automation can save significant time and effort.
Google Domains currently has no API access.
In summary, GoDaddy offers a much richer product ecosystem surrounding domains – from integrated bundles to standalone services – making them a more versatile domain provider.
Google Domains vs GoDaddy: Domain Privacy and Security
Protecting your personal information and preventing domain hijacking are crucial considerations when registering a domain.
GoDaddy and Google Domains both offer privacy and security tools, but GoDaddy provides more robust options.
Both GoDaddy and Google Domains allow you to privately register your domain so your contact information is not publicly searchable in WHOIS lookups.
- This prevents you from getting spammed or targeted.
- Both offer private registration for free.
The process is straightforward with both – you simply check a box to enable it during checkout.
Domain Theft Protection
GoDaddy and Google Domains also include basic domain theft protection by default, which prevents unauthorized transfers out.
To transfer a domain, email confirmation by the owner is required in addition to the authorization code. This adds a layer of security.
Extra Security Options
In addition to the above, GoDaddy provides advanced domain security capabilities:
- Domain locking – Locks the domain to prevent any transfers or changes.
- Two-factor authentication – Requires entering a code from your mobile device to make account changes.
- Registry lock – Locks the domain at the registry level for maximum protection.
- Code signing – Digitally signs your authorization code to prevent tampering.
Google Domains has no equivalent advanced options.
Domain Recovery Assistance
GoDaddy also offers specialized domain recovery services if your domain does ever get hijacked.
- Working with registries and legal authorities
- Sending official notices to regaining control
- Managing paperwork and documentation
- Full-time Domain Defense team for assistance
Having dedicated domain theft resolution services gives peace of mind. Google does not promote similar domain recovery help.
Finally, GoDaddy maintains security certifications like ISO 27001 and SOC 2 Type II attesting to their technical and operational security practices.
Google Domains does not appear to have third-party security certifications.
So, while both domain providers have basic privacy protections, GoDaddy offers a much deeper set of security capabilities to safeguard domains.
Google Domains vs GoDaddy: Final Thoughts
When reviewing the key factors between GoDaddy and Google Domains in depth, GoDaddy comes out ahead for most use cases of domain registration in the Philippines.
For beginners looking for the simplest process at the lowest cost, GoDaddy is likely the better choice. Their interface is easier to navigate, their bundles can provide cheaper packages, and their support options help guide new users.
For intermediates interested in exploring beyond just a domain, GoDaddy provides integrated offerings like hosting, email, and security to expand your capabilities. Their wide array of standalone products also enables exploring other services you may need.
For professionals who plan to manage multiple domains, GoDaddy has the automation tools like bulk domain management and API access to save time and effort. Their advanced security also helps protect your domains at scale.
For international use cases, GoDaddy’s support for IDNs in native languages provides greater reach than Google.
Of course, Google Domains may still make sense:
- If you want a simple, no-frills domain experience without extras like hosting or email.
- If you dislike GoDaddy for any reason and don’t want to support them. Some users aren’t fans of their historical upselling approach.
- If you specifically want integration with Google Workspace or other Google products.
But for most general domain registration uses – especially first-timers – GoDaddy tends to be cheaper, easier, and offer more value overall.
Unless you require specific Google integration or you’re an experienced user, GoDaddy likely is the superior domain provider in the Philippines market.
- Pricing – GoDaddy offers significant savings on domains, bundles, promotions.
- Simplicity – GoDaddy has an easier interface and purchasing process.
- Features – GoDaddy provides a wide array of additional offerings.
- Security – GoDaddy has more advanced domain protection.
By understanding these key differences, you can determine which provider – GoDaddy or Google Domains – better meets your specific needs and criteria when buying domains within the Philippines.
Both enable you to register and manage domains, but GoDaddy provides greater affordability, usability, and flexibility for most Filipino users.